While I've always considered myself an affectionate person, it wasn't until I was 15 that I truly understood the power of a simple hug. My parents had been having problems for quite awhile and before I left for summer camp my mother had sat me down and told me that there was a good chance that she would file for separation from my dad before the end of the summer. I left for summer camp with that in the back of my mind, but managed to put it out of my thoughts for most of the time there.

My summer camp was a Christian sailing camp, and as part of the experience we got to take over night sailing trips. We arrived at Yogi campground that night and went through the usual process of setting up tents and having supper before we were released for free time. All of us teenagers had different ideas of free time and separated. Somehow I found myself sitting in children’s play train and got lost in my thoughts of my parents impending separation. Who would I live with? Where would I go for Christmas? There would be no more family vacations with dad and mom and the beach house. No more trips to the ECU football games together, and it was at that moment that I began to face the fact my life would change. Thinking about it began to make me cry.

I took a walk thinking it would clear my head and ended up back on one of the sailboats that had been pulled up to the shore of the river. At that point I lost it. As I thought of my parents and what my life was going to be like I couldn't help crying. My friend Andrew (who had come to camp with me, and who I have known since I was 7) came looking for me. I heard him behind me. When he saw me crying he immediately asked me what was wrong. I let it all out, and told him everything - that first person I had ever told my parents were having problems.

I'll never forget... instead of trying to tell me it was going to be ok, that I would be alright. He just hugged me and held me and listened to me cry. He must of sat there, holding me, for a good 15 minutes in silence - just letting me be. At that moment that was all I needed, I just needed someone to listen, and to hug me. Eventually I stopped crying and went back to the campground.

But I never forgot, and will never forget, how much that simple hug and open ear meant on that summer night.